Tuesday 28 May 2013

Not every day is easy

Well, its not quite so easy when there is just one of you!  Custer was of course less than pleased that Daddy escaped to work whilst he was watching me prepare my breakfast, he had quite a good night, just awoke the once to bark like blazes at goodness knows what at 1.30am, keeps us on our toes - and they do say sleep is over-rated.

I took Jaja and Bailey out first, then with great confidence, after all I managed fine last night - got Custer hooked up in all his collars etc, came out the house introduced himself to the neighbours and off we went, or so I thought............................ we got less than five minutes down the street and down he went, I'm afraid despite my best efforts after at least ten times of dragging him up for him to plonk back down on his back on the floor I lost my rag, which as we know is not going to help anything!! I marched back toward the house ready to take him home never to set foot outdoors again... but then crossed over the road and decided to calm down and continue the other way.  There was about another ten episodes of plonking down, on the way back I did try a few games, chase the treat etc which did work for a while.  I was out about an hour and a half with him, but cant say we walked too far in that time.

I went home and had a large cuppa, no valium in the house though I was in great need, my poor nerves were frazzled.  At this point it was time to do some research on the web, I concluded that Custer must be scared, after all I found out today.. or sort of found out there is some doubt about his age, he is not 16 months thats for sure, might be 14 months or younger, we simply do not know.  So, we can also assume his history might be in doubt too, so we do not really know what on earth we are dealing with.  The history of a rescue dog is always a big help, or should I say the 'TRUTHFUL' history.
Armed with this new knowledge, or lack of it - I set about researching what to do to help, majority opinion was a harness, I do not have great faith in those really... so managed to locate one with a different style, set up to help the rescue or fearful dog.. perfect, I am of course now totally broke, what with this, his new coat, his new leads, collars etc... but have opted for one of these http://www.xtradog.com/shop/harnesses/fleece-dog-harnesses/new-style-xtra-dog-walking-harness-large-size.html

I spent the rest of the day playing ball, find it and fetch - also putting on his collar and short lead walking him around the house, and around the back entry, to try rid the 'fear'.  Seemed to be a very long and tiring day, luckily after 5pm Daddy came home early.. Custer was very pleased to see him..
This meant it was walkies time again, I had explained all the above to 'Daddy' - and also that I was in that much pain for all the lugging about of 'Mr Hefty Legs' it was his turn, I joined them and took Jaja too.  Not ONE problem, no fear... no throwing himself at the floor (well, only the once) trotted along nicely for Daddy!!!!
As much as I am loathed to use the word 'dominance' I do feel this to be the case, that or simply 'leading Mummy a merry dance' which was not so merry from were I was standing.

Oh yes, also today while I did try to salvage some work I had on.. Custer was into everything, and winding Jaja up, and generally being a naughty pup.  You would think after about 22 years of rescue dogs I would remember the first few calm days, before paws are under the table and the true personality arrives.  Now, I am trying to catch up on the days chores etc, and were is the pup himself? 

SNORING LOUDLY ON THE SOFA!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Poor you Lynda. I bet you are whacked!

    Shirley x

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, sleep is for whimps so they say.

    I'll be making you a badge with - "Custers Number One Fan" written on it:)

    ReplyDelete